Saturday, March 19, 2016

OCD

Obsessive compulsive disorder is most often referred to as OCD.  It often involves unpleasant or unwanted thoughts. Although OCD is different for every person that has it, there are some things that are often similar to most people.

Some common obsessions include..

  • the fear of harming someone or yourself.
  • the fear of harming others by accident, such as setting a house on fire.
  • the fear of disease or infection.
  • a need for symmetry and order. 
 In addition to obsessions most people have symptoms before the are fully diagnosed with OCD. Some of these symptoms are...

  • checking 
  • hoarding
  • ordering
  • constant cleaning
  • aggression
As it relates to my film I still want to research if it is more common in males or females.  I also want to research and analyze films to see how they go about this topic. I want to see if if most actors are male or female and do the opposite to make my film unique. 

    
I also researched some films that deal with OCD, I wanted to see how they went about this topic. I remember watching the movie What About Bob? in psychology last year and  I automatically thought of it when I thought about doing this film. What About Bob? is a comedy that focuses on Bob, a man who suffers from various anxieties and phobias. In the film he goes to a psychiatrist for help, when the psychiatrist goes away on a family vacation Bob follows him because he doesn't believe he can survive without his help.This clip shows one of the first scene where both characters are introduced and Bob's problems are explained. Although it is hard to tell from this scene, the movie is really funny. It targets serious issues in a comedic way that makes the film enjoyable to watch.




The Big Bang Theory is a very popular show that although I don't watch my sister recommend I watch for this project. Sheldon is one of the main characters who has a OCD as well as other disorders. The clip below specifically targets the need for closure. This also relates to a need for order because he wants things to always be the same. Like What About Bob? this show also takes a comical approach, but still confronts serious issues.



I am a very visual person, therefore, videos have helped me understand OCD better. From this research I definitely know I don't want to make my film funny, I don't want to make it sad either,but I want my film to stand out from all of the other shows and movies that approach OCD with comedy.





"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms ." Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.

"What About Bob? | EW.com." Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.

Yossarian29. "Abnormal Psych - What About Bob." YouTube. YouTube, 10 Dec. 2008. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.


"About Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder." OCD Types. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.

"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." AnxietyBC. N.p., 14 Nov. 2014. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.


Annarozsa. "Sheldon's Compulsive Closure Therapy." YouTube. YouTube, 30 Aug. 2013. Web. 19 Mar. 2016.






No comments:

Post a Comment