Saturday, March 12, 2016

Isolation

Before I went to bed last night I was thinking on issues teenagers face. Depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and bullying are some of the first that came to mind. I felt that if the message directly correlated to teens, more people would be excited about it and would reach a larger audience.
Although these are serious issues I feel they are already talked about and well known throughout the media. I was also thinking with so many films about these topics what would make mine special and unique?

I decided to stay away from these topics and focus on other topics that aren't often talked about. From looking around school I realized something very evident, but not really analyzed by many...people crave company. As I was walking around school I was observing students in their social groups during lunch and in the hallway, something I don't frequently do because I am always of in space thinking about everything, except on what is going on around me. It hit me, people don't only want attention, but are scared to be alone. As soon as someone would leave their social clique they would resort to their smart phone for texting and music. They hoped to find the compassion and presence of people in any type of technology.

I started researching if the fear of being alone has been studied by others, and to my surprise there is so much information on this topic. The fear of being alone is also known as Monophobia. While I don't think the average High School student suffers from Monophobia, I do believe it is something people don't realize could be an issue. This article really helped me understand the difference between loneliness and solitude.

As of know I am going to keep researching this issue and think about a story where are girl has Monophobia. I was thinking in the beginning it can just start of as a student always wanting to be with someone and becoming dependent on others to live her life. As she graduates High School she would notice symptoms such as anxiety and shortness of breath until she is diagnosed and has to go to therapy. I am definitely going to elaborate on this topic and hopefully this story works out.

"We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness." Albert Schweitzer


"Loneliness." And the Fear of Being Alone. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2016.

"Loneliness Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2016.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Catalina!

    I'm enjoying reading your articles, and there are some things I'd like to point out to you! Although I noticed the progress you are making, I feel as though you're focusing too much on your background and not enough about your official story. Your readers are here because they are interested in your story and what you're involved in, so make sure you keep them updated with what you're doing when it comes to your short film. Also, make sure to read over every post before you publish! I noticed a few spelling errors here and there and that can make you lose followers, as well as respect for your writing! Other than these things, I'm proud of the progress you're making and I'm excited to see what your final project comes out to.

    Regards,


    Amalia Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete