Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Get to Know Em


As planned, here is the interview Isa and I did with Em. Since we did not know Em before her performance at Open- Mic night, it was imperative that we conducted this interview early in the project. Our goal for this interview was to get to know her, understand her and for her to get to know us as well. We want it to make it clear that if she is not comfortable with some of our choices to let us know, because at the end of the day this is her music career and we want to make sure she is content with all the choices. Without further do, here is the interview; I hope you love her as much as we do!





What's your name?
Emmanuelle Sasson

When were you born?
October 17th, 2001. So I'm 15.

Where are you from?
Manhattan, NYC, and I moved to Florida when I was 5. But my family is actually from Israel. My father is Turkish and my mom is Moroccan.


When did you start singing?
I’ve known I’ve wanted to be a musician ever since I was 3. When I was 14, I started taking vocal lessons with my teacher, Rachal Solomon. She’s really supportive of my music and has helped me manage my voice better.


Who’s your favorite singer/band?
Twenty One Pilots


Do you play any instruments?
I play the guitar, bass, piano, drums, and the ukulele. And I’ve learned them all on my own except for  the guitar.


How would you describe yourself?
I’m quirky, and I’m a thinker. I like to see the good in people rather than focus on the bad, and even in the darkest times, I try to focus on the good things such as my music and the people I love. I’m also very affectionate, and usually care more about other people over myself. Oh, and I love cracking jokes.


What’s the inspiration behind your debut album?
On February 4th, 2015, I had back surgery to treat my scoliosis. At 13, I was at the hospital for a week, and I had to miss school for a month. I fell into a severe depression because of it, so I started writing songs. “Cage” was the first song that I wrote which described how I was feeling. My music has to do a lot with my personal life, and who I’ve become and who I strive to be. It’s about humanity, our tendencies, and our bad habits. That’s why my my debut album is called “A Universal Paradox”, meaning that you can choose to do something but you can’t choose its consequences.


How would you describe your music?
Alternative rock/pop


What do you want your music to be to other people?
I want my music to be a support system for others. I want it to be comforting and relatable because I know how it feels to be alone and I don’t ever want other people to feel that way.

What are some of your goals as a musician?
I want to get people to feel something when they listen to my music, but to do that, I need to expand my YouTube presence. I also submitted an audition video to America's Got Talent, so that’s another exciting thing that I’m looking forward to. I’m also super excited for the release of my first album, “A Universal Paradox”, which will hopefully be available this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment